Friday 13 March 2015

#Errandonnee 2015 Challenge: Rides 1-5

Here's my first batch of Errandonnee rides. I haven't really got to grips with the new controls. In the absence of specific food/drink categories and given my current unavailability for any ride that could remotely be construed as "social", I foresee too many errands being categorised as Personal Care when they are anything but! (If only I were looking after myself as well as my anticipated over-use of this category might imply...)

Errandonnee #1
Date: Sunday, 8 March 2015
Errand:  Get Cash
Category:   Personal Business
Destination:  ATM in Luton town centre
Steed: Riley the Enigma
What I learned/observations:

When an ATM is unable to dispense cash, it will still take you through the entire menu right up to selection of the amount you want before telling you so. Why can't the cash option be disabled or displayed as unavailable right on the main menu?

Take 1:






Take 2 - success!




Errandonnee #2
Date: Sunday, 8 March 2015
Errand: Buy Railcard
Category:   Personal Business 
Destination: Luton train station
Steed: Riley the Enigma
What I learned/observations:

The station lift (elevator) has started doing its old judder again so no doubt it will be out of service by Monday.


A Network Railcard for £30 per year gets you 1/3 off off-peak travel across all operators for their South East services.


The new Luton Travel Centre opposite the station is nearing completion. Until this week, hoardings around it have prevented any glimpses of the building. With the new Busway and Bus Interchange (station), we very nearly have a proper transport interchange area in Luton! (Now, if only we can demolish the crumbling, badly designed train station itself and start over...)




Errandonnee #3
Date: Sunday, 8 March 2015
Errand:  Move my bike lock
Category:   Wild Card
Destination:  Harpenden town centre
Steed: Riley the Enigma
What I learned/observations:

My other reason to visit Luton station was to collect my big heavy motorcycle chain, which has been 'living' in the parking stands the past year, to take it to Harpenden, as I have shifted my cycle commute from home to catch the train to London each morning, from going to Luton station (3 miles from home) to Harpenden station (6 miles) just to get more time on my bike. With my work and study schedule from now until June, I can't get out for long rides at the weekends. I am however signed up for the Great Escape 200k audax in mid-May, immediately followed by a cycling trip in France over the May Bank Holiday weekend, so I've got to improve my fitness somehow! 


On my way to Harpenden, I noticed that cycling signage has finally been installed on the busway! 

The small round "Cycles & Buses Only" signs are new.
Before, there was nothing to indicate that cycling is allowed along this part of the busway route.

A row of trees has been planted along NCN6/Upper Lea Valley Way.


Along the Upper Lea Valley Way
Sadly I failed to get a photo of the huge hefty motorcycle chain ON my bicycle - well, in my pannier, to be honest. I meant to get a photo once I reached Harpenden, but got distracted by an impromptu Errandonnee ride #4....

Errandonnee #4
Date: Sunday, 8 March 2015
Errand: Take a break, have coffee
Category:  Personal Care 
Destination: Blueberry Cafe, Harpenden
Steed: Riley the Enigma
What I learned/observations:

I deposited my lock at the bike stands outside the Blueberry Cafe and found the opportunity to have my first cappuccino of the year sitting outside too good to pass up.

Mulling over the new class schedule for Breathing Space.
Once my course and exam are over, I'll try to get into a weekend Pilates class again. 

I took the scenic route home. Between the turning off the A1081 onto Kennel Lane and the t-junction with Coles Lane -- a windy narrow single lane road -- I encountered 4 drivers, every one of whom was exceptionally considerate in overtaking or meeting/passing me. A lady driving a Range Rover (a vehicle that has a reputation for being operated by inconsiderate drivers) actually reversed back to the point where there was a slight widening (a kind of lay-by) on my side. Unfortunately, the lay-by was too muddy for me to risk putting my wheels (or cleats) into, so I stopped at the very edge of the tarmack. As she approached me, she put her window down to say "I'm so sorry, I was trying to avoid you being forced to unclip!"  Wow, a driver who knows something about the little challenges we rural road cyclists can face.

Another driver approached me from the other direction, just as we were converging on a blind corner. I think he could see my flashing front light through the trees. I couldn't see the car but could hear it and was feeling a bit apprehensive about how fast the driver might take the bend and where I should pull over safely. He also seemed to anticipate my problems. He gave a friendly two-beep toot of his horn just before he came round the bend, was driving slowly and as much to the side of the road as possible, and as he passed he gave a wave and another beep beep.

(Consideration like this is much appreciated, not least because it sadly is so rare. It's a shame that the very next morning on my commute, I encountered a much different driver, who had both the ability and the willingness to drive a bloody great coach right over me.)

Rural Bedfordshire -- or North Hertfordshire perhaps - I'm not quite sure. 


Errandonnee #5
Date: Wednesday, 11 March 2015
Errand:  Luton and Dunstable Cycling Forum Meeting & AGM
Category:   Social Call
Destination:  Travel Choices Hub
Steed: Riley the Enigma
What I learned/observations:

I miss the "Community Meeting" category!

No, Robin is not asleep! 

Distances

Rides 1-4: 26.2km



Ride 5: 13.6km

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating that your ATM machines don't tell you they're out of cash prior to reaching the end of the sequence of inputs. I am fairly certain that ours just say "Out of Order" if there's no cash dispensable at the machine, as I have definitely experienced that on an occasion or two.

    As for missing the community gathering category, at least there's a wild card that could be used for this, or as you indicated it can be a social errandonnee ride.

    Hope you're enjoying! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that used to be the case but now ATMs offer so many other non-cash-dispensing services e.g. bill payment, mobile phone top-up. I just wish the main menu, where all the main categories are listed, would just "grey out" the cash options or make the corresponding buttons to the side of the screen inoperable or something. Ah well.

      Wild Card is going to used twice for sure! I've got several more errands to run and I'll try to fit them in before Monday but they're all, technically speaking, personal business! I really didn't know what to do with the lock collection/delivery errand, especially when I realised afterwards I'd forgotten to get a photo.

      Enjoyed your Mrs Harvey's story. :)

      Delete
    2. Actually, on further thought, I'm going to re-jig my control card and fit the lock thing in under Wild Card anyway. After all, it was the only reason I rode from Luton to Harpenden - otherwise it would have just been a home to Luton and back trip.

      Delete
    3. I think the UK must be far ahead of us in ATM abilities. I feel as though ours are pretty much make a deposit, get cash, or get an account balance check. Of course, our "slowness" is also the reason for so many credit card issues lately here in the US. They're supposedly resolving some of this within the year by creating a new system for credit cards... but we will see. Having been the victim of someone using my bank card number on half a dozen different occasions last year, I will happily welcome anything that makes credit card/bank numbers more secure.

      I actually freaked out this morning because I have my control card saved in Google docs and it wouldn't open. I thought for sure I'd lost it and would have to start over, but it managed to come up later in the day, so thankfully, my laziness can prevail. :O)

      Still need a number of rides myself, and I'm not convinced I'm going to make it, but I think I'm just going to need to get busy and hopefully I'll scrape by with the needed trips by Monday.

      As for Mrs Harvey, I'm just super disappointed I'm not going to get any baked goods from her.

      Happy errandonneering!

      Delete

Share This