Thursday 13 February 2014

The Right Tool For The Job



Until these floods and mud go away, I've decided to swap which cycling boots I wear. 

Above on the left are the Northwave Fahrenheit GTX (Gore-Tex) boots I've been using this year. On the right are the Shimano MW81 boots I wore last winter. 

Both are fabulous boots -- warm and waterproof and both fit well.

So why the switch?

This.


The Northwaves have road cleats: Speedplay Light Action. While I absolutely love them, they scoop up mud, silt, grass and small stones like nobody's business. They require a thorough cleaning (and I do mean thorough: soapy toothbrush and lots of water) and re-lubing after nearly every single ride.


The Shimanos have MTB cleats: Speedplay Frogs. The engagement with the pedal is passive, not spring loaded -- you simply scoop the V-shape of the cleat into the corresponding shaping on the pedal. Any mud, leaves, whatever gets pushed straight out the back of the cleat.


Sure, the smaller platform of the Frogs cleat/pedal interface provides less stability than the huge square platform of the Light Actions. But as long as even the A roads in this county are awash with every kind of muck imaginable, I think I'll use the Frogs.

Hurry up, Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This