Saturday 28 December 2013

Rides To Remember (2013)


I'm already planning my 2014 rides -- are you?

But right now, I'm enjoying looking back at a few cycling highlights from this past year.



The House Warming Ride 
12 January 2013

I moved up to Bedfordshire in mid-November 2012. We quite liked the idea of hosting a local ride, rather than having an "open house" party. It was bitterly cold, barely above freezing, but 5 of our friends came out with us: John cycled over from just a few miles east of us (on his recumbent), Stephen and Rachel came by car from Buckinghamshire (with their tandem), Stuart came by train all the way from Portsmouth, and Dave by train from London. We encountered two fords -- one adjacent to our route so we didn't have to chance it, the other a cautious but uneventful crossing. We had a great day, especially as it ended at our house with coffees and assorted goodies baked by Adam's daughter, Amiiee.

All photos were taken by Dave and can be seen here.





The Long Running Legend that is the "Sunday London Ride"

We don't get down to London for this very often, but we did on 31 March 2013. My exceedingly brief ride report was here. The ride was notable for crossing wheels with Adam and crashing -- but also for enjoying the company of wonderful friends we just don't get to see as often as we'd like.
All photos (C) the5milecyclist, used with kind permission (more pics here).

Cue cheesy music from spaghetti Westerns
e.g. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

Old Justice pub, used as locations in Paul McCartney's
film Give My Regards To Broad Street and also in the
music video for his song "No More Lonely Nights"

"First Day of Spring"
8 April 2013

Winter is over at last.

If I can see my shadow, that must mean... the sun is out!!
First proper "not still winter" day of the year. 

The Isle of Wight Randonnee 
5 May 2013

Adam and I squeezed in a mini-weekend on the Isle of Wight. My blog post is here.

On the Troll Trail. 

Looking back at the hill that I had "feared" most, which turned out to be
rolling rather than brutal and quite good fun. 

A 60km ride, carrying all my gear for a weekend away. 

Tilting at Windmills 
11 May 2013

This was my first keto-adapted 100+km ride and I really didn't know what to expect in terms of my physical strength and endurance, especially with a hilly route on a windy day. I was surprised and relieved to do so well!  I wrote about it here.

I ride with my own Pit Crew!


The Grand Union Canal

First Tandem Ride!
28 May 2013

From having barely ridden it at all, to riding it overnight from London to Burnham-on-Crouch, or
"How We Fell In Love With Our Tandem". 

I posted a full ride report here. Photo (C) the5milecyclist, used with kind permission (more pics here).


The 100 Mile Smile Ride
8 September 2013

My colleague Alister and I resurrected a cycling event that was last run in 2009 and -- with invaluable assistance from Adam as Route Planner Extraordinaire -- re-launched it as a hopefully annual Sustrans event called "The 100 Mile Smile".  I posted a full ride report here.

(C) Alvina Farrow, Sustrans/Travel Choices

First Ride on New Bike!
21 October 2013

After a couple of short, tentative and very rainy outings on the new custom Enigma Etape, I got a proper introductory ride at last. I wrote a little about it here.


Breeze Rides
16 November 2013

My first all-ladies road ride... in magical, foggy countryside with Jayne and Michele. No photos available but I wrote a little about it here.

VeloVixen Rides
15 December 2013

My second all-ladies road ride... in pretty, rolling countryside with the newly founded VeloVixen road cycling club. My full ride report is here, with photos by Phil Bingham.

(C) Phil Bingham/VeloVixen Rides

This is but a selection of rides that stand out in my mind amongst the 3500+ km I cycled this year on my various bicycles. Many of those miles were utilitarian transport trips but even some of those were in unusual circumstances, such as the Route User Interception Survey project in October/November, or on unusual routes, such as Adam hauling a heavily laden cargo bike with trailer up the clifftop paths to the Chilterns Visitor Centre.

Riding a bicycle opens doors to experiences and opportunities that just wouldn't present themselves otherwise. I am looking forward to many more adventures in 2014, including a long weekend in Amsterdam in March and my first week-long cycle tour in Scotland in the summer.

What cycle rides are you planning to do in 2014?

Your first sportive / night ride / tour / cycling holiday / race / ???

I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This