Friday 8 November 2013

Public Art

"Art" is not exactly what comes to mind in connection with the Luton and Dunstable area! However, on my various cycle rambles round the area, I've come across a few examples. The two I'm sharing today, I would never have discovered if not on my bike. I am hoping more local cycling will reveal even more.

Busway

There is a series of sculptures along the busway in Dunstable and Houghton Regis, commissioned by Central Bedfordshire Council. The artist is Peter Morehouse.

This particular installation is at the northern end of the guided portion of the Busway, at the end of Blackburn Road just north of the Portland Ride stop.




The design is meant to represent the area's manufacturing heritage, with the wheels being not just bicycle wheels but also cars and trucks. Blackburn Road is still an industrial area albeit in the medical, chemical, filtration and plastics engineering industries plus heavy haulage companies.

Stockwood Park

Something quite different now in the way of inspiration (nature rather than industry) and media (wood rather than metal)... the lovely animal sculptures in Stockwood Park, which is on the southwest border of Luton.

Just your average cheeky (mutant giant!) Grey Squirrel -



These have whetted my appetite to find more examples of public art in the local area. I hope to have more to share in coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This