Sunday 16 June 2013

Carbon Testing

The first carbon bike to catch my eye:  2010 Specialized Ruby "Komen"
One day I'll give up on the idea of making a stock-size bicycle meet my fit requirements. On that day, I will look the chaps at Cyclefit in the eye and say "custom fit me". And then I'll have to decide on a frame material... My choices will probably be carbon, titanium or the new super-light steel. 

I must admit, I favour the idea of titanium, heavily influenced by one remark by Velouria of the Lovely Bicycle blog when she first test rode a titanium-framed bike: "you don't feel the bumps, you feel only the echoes of bumps". Or something to that effect - I'll have to go on a search for her exact words. Velouria is currently test riding a series of carbon bikes though, and it sounds like the ride quality is a little different but just as good in its own way.

Carbon has a reputation for being vulnerable to sudden catastrophic failures. This is apparently quite rare but I know of two such failures among my cycling companions - one of a fork and one of the bottom bracket joint. It's worth noting however that Specialized carbon bikes enjoy a lifetime warranty -- which sorted my friend Susie's broken Ruby. Nice to have that back-up in financial terms, but how do I feel about taking on that risk, in terms of peace of mind?

I have no idea if I'll ever buy a carbon- or titanium-framed bike (N-1 would have to happen first...) but I'd at least like to know what it feels like to ride them. It's not weight or speed so much that intrigues me, but the degree of smoothness on the less-than-optimally-smooth road surfaces we are cursed with here in the UK. Are either/both of these frame materials truly more comfortable / less fatigueing? If so, is the improvement so marked that it'd be worth it to shell out serious money on a carbon or titanium bike? And if so... and if I chose carbon... am I 'brave' enough to go with any manufacturer other than Specialized? I need to test ride them before I can even begin to formulate answers to those questions.

It seems that no one is currently making stock women's-geometry frames in titanium. It's either buy a mens/unisex bike or go custom, so with my known fit issues, I do not expect any stock unisex bikes on the market today to be a go-er.

So, as far as test riding bikes in stock at bike shops, that leaves carbon.  I am currently "window (i.e. internet) shopping" for a carbon test ride. My short list consists of these:  

2013 Specialized Ruby Comp £2,500
2013 Colnago CLD £2,899

Problem is, I'm struggling to find any of these models to test ride. The Specialized Ruby is by far the best known women's carbon road bike in the UK, but (as with all Specialized bikes) not enough are made to meet demand. I've phoned most of the dealers within 50 miles of London to be told they sold out months ago and are waiting for news of the 2014 range. As for Bianchi and Colnago, it's beginning to look like the dealers for those brands just don't anticipate much demand for women's specific road bikes at this price point so don't even bother to stock them. If I want to even see one, they have to special order it in.

Trek and Giant also make women's specific carbon road bikes but aesthetically I find them unappealing due to the really boring straight top tubes that don't visually flow into the headtube and/or seat tube. But I may end up riding one, if I'm to experience for myself how a carbon-framed bike feels to ride.

I'm beginning to find it all quite frustrating. Any suggestions of other bikes I should consider? And bike shops that stock them??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This